The life style changes, obesity, occupational pattern of prolonged standing and pregnancy are considered to be significantly contributing to this situation known as Varicose veins wherein veins become enlarged and twisted. Incidence of varicose vein is more in people belonging to the occupation that involved prolonged standing. Varicose vein can be co-related to Sirajgranthi as described in Ayurvedic texts. Ayurved formulations are said to be effective in the management of Sirajgranthi (Varicose veins)Sirajgranthi, treated at an early stage or allows proper maintenance of signs and symptoms reduces the complications and support a better quality of life. In this article we have tried to analyse the anatomical and physiological changes due to long term standing.
2. Hussein M. Atta *Varicose Veins: Role of Mechanotransduction of Venous HypertensionInt J Vasc Med. 2012; 2012: 538627.Published online 2012 Feb 12. doi: 10.1155/2012/538627
3. Somen Das, A Manual of Clinical surgery, Examination of varicose veins. S Das publication, Calcutta. 7th edition, 2008, p-73
4. Sharma A, Sushruta, Sushruta Samhita, Nidana sthana-11/31 Chaukhambha surbharti prakashan, varanasi, 2009, p-540.
5. Acharya Vagbhata: AshtangaHridayam, with commentaries of Sarvanga Sundari of Arunadutta and Ayurveda Rasayana of Hemadri, Annotated by Dr.AnnaMoreswar Kunte and Krishna Ramachandra Sastri Narre, edited by Pt.Harisadasiva Sastri Published by Chaukhambha Surbharathi Prakashan,Varanasi-1997, Uttara Sthana, Ch. 29/ 10,11.
6. Bailey & Loveâ€™s, Short Practice of Surgery, Edited by Norman Williams, Christopher, Russell, Edward Arnold publications, 24th edition, chapter 54 Page no 2592